Re: scriptingNews outline for 9/6/2000

Author:Seth Gordon

Open source advocates are inches away from finding the bug in their advocacy.... They'll have no credibility with me until they start acknowledging that, consistently, and update their philosophy to include all flavors of software.
If you want proof that respected open-source advocates (aside from RMS) think commercial software is OK, I can pull out this segment of an ESR essay or this talk by Larry Wall or Bruce Perens's resume (he used to do commercial-software work for Pixar, and I don't think he's ashamed of it).

Now perhaps, when InfoWorld, the New York Times, et al. run articles on the open-source movement, they don't give these statements very much attention. But why should that surprise you? When the mainstream media started running articles about the feminist movement, if Feminist Speaker A said "Men are all evil" and Feminist Speaker B said "Most men are not evil", which speaker's words were more likely to get published?