Re: Power to the (Mac) People

Author:Jeremy Reichman
Posted:9/7/2000; 6:38:56 PM
Topic:Power to the (Mac) People

I deal a lot with Apple's higher ed channel. (It's my job.)

I find that the local Apple reps, and most Apple people I've talked to actually, are pretty receptive.

It's the people higher up in the chain that do not seem to be taking the feedback. If they did, big customers would be able to order custom-configured Macs with custom software installations, we'd be able to order speakers with professional Macs from the Apple Store, we'd have a terminal emulator in the OS, and we'd be able to connect natively to SMB/CIFS file servers.

I do appreciate Apple's persistence in their major products. Even if they don't get a product right at first, they make a good, first, generally exciting pass at it. Stir up the industry. (Take AirPort for example.) And each iteration is generally better.

But still, they miss a lot of things that their customers want. Did I ask for a new interface? No, I asked for functionality that would let Macs fit in better.