Re: Guido and Richard

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/7/2000; 9:11:10 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Thanks for the link Emmanuel. After talking with Petreley today and hearing the story of KDE, I want to know whenever a developer is under pressure to do GPL, and I want to offer them support for resisting it. They have to know that there are developers who appreciate simple generosity on any terms they're comfortable with. I'm just happy when cool new software ships without patents under any license agreement, open source or not. If Stallman has any integrity and gives it some thought he should support that too. There are big threats out there, we're on the same side on some of them. Doing things to hurt commercial development is bad. And btw, even though Brett Glass is gone, he helped a lot to educate me on this stuff. Now I'm branching out and learning more. We want Python to stay accessible to us. No way should they GPL it.