Re: Biggest barrier to building a community in Manila

Author:Jeremy Reichman
Posted:9/9/2000; 6:56:04 AM
Topic:Biggest barrier to building a community in Manila

I agree with this. I hate having to sign up for each and every Manila Weblog.

Plus, since anyone with access to the server can look up each member's password — in plain text, mind you — this can be a security risk. So not only can the Manila admin potentially read your password, but if you use the same password over and over at each Manila site you visit, as well as at other sites that require membership, then you've blown your identity. Someone can sign in as you!

I would also feel a little safer if there were a good way to encrypt this stuff in transit. I'm not running Frontier behind another Web server, which might be one way to do it. (Use SSL?)

Anyway, I still don't grok how to use the shared membership feature introduced a while. I'd like to do that on my own server so that the sites I host share their members, and people don't have to sign up more than once.

It would be very nice to have a "quick comment" ability for those who don't want to sign up and become members.