Re: Throwing a curve ball

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:9/9/2000; 10:17:49 AM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Well, no I don't want to route around another programmer's license agreement. But then again I don't see a line, or there's a lack of definition.

Here's the relevant part of the GPL:

Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not covered by [the GPL]; they are outside its scope. The act of running the Program is not restricted...

The GPL only restricts copying, distribution and modification of somebody else's software. It does not restrict running that software.

Should there be open source development for Windows and Mac?

The Free Software Foundation sells software for Windows. Windows isn't "free" enough for their tastes, of course, but they still support it with applications and documentation.

A Better Explanation

I'm obviously doing a poor job of explaining the GPL. How could I explain it better?

How about this. If:

...then:

This is certainly obnoxious, but not obviously evil or immoral (at least to my eyes). Most commercial licenses are far more restrictive than the GPL, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

For example, consider the Windows license:

You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer, including a workstation, terminal or other digital electronic device... You may not rent, lease or lend the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

In other words, anything I can do with Windows Notepad, I can do with GPL'd software, too. ;-)

My Personal Opinion

I'm not terribly fond of the GPL. I understand why people use the GPL for major applications such as image editors and spreadsheets (they don't want to wake up some morning and discover that someone made a proprietary application based on their work). But I get really annoyed when people use the GPL for libraries, because--in my opinion--no library should dictate which kinds of applications may use it.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that the GPL is good thing. I'm just trying to explain it.

Cheers,
Eric