Re: Do applications differ from libraries?

Author:David Rothgery
Posted:9/9/2000; 12:44:58 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

[On component-based software]

I want to establish early and often that this is not a Windows specific idea or innovation. It will make me puke if I find we have been positioned as following the genius of Windows yet again, because MS pulled off another PR coup setting themselves up as the originator of some basic idea common in the industry.

Eh. Microsoft didn't invent component-based programming, but they've certainly done more to popularize it than anyone else. And the people who popularize a new (good) idea and make it work reasonably well deserve more than a little credit. Apple deserves a lot of credit for doing the same with GUIs.

(Uh, sorry if I sound more than a little tense and reactionary on the topic. :-)

Hey, I thought shamelessly defending Microsoft (which I've been known to do) was the reactionary position...