Re: That would be public domain

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/9/2000; 9:54:39 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

Todd Blanchard: How would you feel if you released the source code to a product and it was rebranded and sold commercially for real money with nothing other than cosmetic (logo) changes?

An interesting hypothetical question.

Has it ever happened? Can someone cite a single example where this happened? I just wonder how serious the problem is. If it happened to me, I might just sell it commercially and undercut the price of the other brand, and thank them for the free marketing. Or I would make it clear the same code was available for free, and thank the seller for the free advertising.

If I give something away for free, I don't see what I lose if someone else makes money from it, as long as they dare not interfere with my own usage.