Re: It's about editing

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:9/12/2000; 2:25:09 PM
Topic:Discuss by email?

no newsreader that I know of caches messages, so flipping back and forth over messages reloads every time.

Many newsreaders cache messages. It's good practice to avoid excessive load on the news server. Most just cache within a session - which isn't really all that different from what a Web browser does - but some are full offline readers, like my favorite, MacSOUP. Of course, NNTP permits articles to supersede older ones, but this isn't used very often (and isn't honored by some servers).

That said, the DG interface is very inefficient for reading large numbers of messages. It makes me wait variable amounts of time for messages to be returned. I would really appreciate an offline reader. Here's one possibility - an offline reader with the caveat that when you post a reply to the message, it first fetches the most recent version of a message.

--Nicholas