Interfacing Ecco, Frontier, Perl & Python

Author:Larry Yudelson
Posted:9/15/2000; 8:23:34 AM
Topic:Interfacing Ecco, Frontier, Perl & Python

Over at http://ecco.weblogs.com, I've begun an effort to bring Ecco into the year Y2K. That is, to create tools to allow it to interact in a world of Webtop rather than Desktop applications, and to create libraries for non-Visual Basic programming.

I've posted some very preliminary Perl code for turning one's Ecco phonebook into a Web page. Next to come: Automatic FTPing of that page to a Web server. A Perl ECCO module is down the road.

Raymond Yee has posted code for posting Ecco outlines to Manilla, using Python and XML.

I would love to see some Frontier developers join the effort. I can imagine an Ecco-Frontier/RadioUserland package that eliminates all the messy glue of Perl, FTP and Apache that I envision in my app.

I've also posted some questions about the compatability of Frontier's database with that of Ecco's.

P.S. Why now? Because the programming creativity surrounding RadioUserland is contagious. Those "whatif"s that keep cropping up on scripting news -- whatif a playlist was an outline, whatif an outline was a website, whatif the desktop was a webtop -- turn out to be catching. So two words for Dave: Thank You!