Re: It's OPML

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:9/16/2000; 5:48:08 PM
Topic:Outline XML files need a name

Dave, thanks for exposing this discussion.

The problem I see with expansionState and the other display specific items is that, well, they're display specific -- they have operational semantics. This makes OPML a hybrid between a file format and a protocol IMHO. Once its a protocol, questions arise about the semantics (and implementation) of some of its operational aspects.

So you have expansion state, why not item color? Why not font? Etc. Not that I'm advocating these, mind you, but someone might need them in certain contexts too. The question is where to stop.

Do you intend to RFC this OPML proposal or to submit it to W3C? If so, take these questions as precursors to some of the ones that will surely be raised about OPML.