Re: Anti-Microsoft sentiment

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/16/2000; 8:02:36 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

What I wrote can be construed as offensive if one supposes I knew that Josh Allen works for Microsoft (which I did not). So now I will edit the potentially offensive parts, showing the before and after versions for contrast. The new "after" version assumes Josh Allen is a Microsoft employee.

Joshua Allen: The rules of many sports allow you to interfere with the other team's ability to win.

Before: I don't see how this is relevant, no matter who brought it up. Seeing it feels like a red herring, like shouting Microsoft does not discriminate against dirty socks. Uh, who cares?

After: I'm unable to relate the concept of impeding play in others to anything I said before, so I'm confused. And when I think about it, I can't work up any concern at all. However, stopping them from playing is a big deal. Giving the other team's bus a flat tire so they miss the game is beyond the pale. Is this what we are talking about?

Joshua Allen: Obviously Microsoft believes that no infractions were committed

Before: Time out! Rather, Microsoft obviously believes they were committed. But they strenuously deny them. No one believes this position nor believes Microsoft takes the position seriously. It's just a pro forma denial. When accused, one approach is to deny everything and never stop denying under any circumstances.

After: Until today, I never heard anyone utter that idea seriously, except in the context of official Microsoft position announcements. With all due respect, I wish to disagree without giving offense. I'm sure many Microsoft employees agree with this sentiment, and I don't mean to call them liars by disagreeing. As stated, the sentence only makes sense with "obviously" removed, or with "says it" added before "believes."