Re: monocultures (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/17/2000; 12:34:16 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

Josh Allen: There are many types of value that cannot be created by an individual working alone, so people often decide to band together, create value, then distribute that value among themselves.

Yes. However, this purpose can have riders. All dominant systems can host riders. Companies can and do engage in other purposes besides this.

Josh Allen: The idea that developers are getting "programmed" by their companies is truly ludicrous.

Yes, that misinterprets my point entirely. Companies don't turn folks into zombies. But persons interested in goal Gp who join a company pursuing goal Gc will find Gc overwhelminlgy supercedes Gp.

I only fault your logic for comparing unrelated contexts. The context of group goals is not the same context as programming personality.

Josh Allen: And I just can't connect emotionally with your plea that a company should have a "right to survive".

If you review my posts you'll see I don't reword your positions as you do mine. Everytime you say I claim companies have right to survive, it pisses me off because I said no such thing, and it frankly makes me look stupid. I ignored the earlier occurences because I thought you might stop doing it.

Which part of this ridiculous interpretation of my words do you want me to defend? I didn't say it. Please don't take this as a flame. I just request that you not put words in my mouth.