Re: formats (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:David McCusker
Posted:9/18/2000; 6:02:14 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

David Rothgery: A major design goal of the '97 series of Office file formats was to facilitate extensibility; Microsoft gave that as the primary reason for changing file formats between Office 95 and Office 97.

If true, that's excellent. (I have no way to verify, so I take your word.) That would be the most desired reason for any final format change, so that future extensions are supported by a flexible format.