Re: monocultures (Anti-Microsoft sentiment)

Author:Dave Rogers
Posted:9/18/2000; 6:01:31 PM
Topic:Debunking the OSS Bazaar?

We should start mandating that all houses carry DC and/or three-phase power at option of the owners so that we can capture the glorious wonders of biodiversity.

In fact, DC is available to all houses that require it, they're called power supplies. The fantastic diversity in electrical and electronic appliances is due to the ease with which we can modify 110 AC into whatever form we require.

The obvious example of the less-advantageous nature of universal AC is the blackout. During blackouts people often use diverse DC devices to shed a little light in the darkness, they're called batteries. This is not to say universal AC hasn't delivered a world of wonder, merely that because we're able to do with that source what we will, we have far more choices.

I would also point out that when computer manufacturers tried to overlay different shells and dashboards over Windows as a way to simplify the user experience and differentiate their products, MS promptly threatened to pull their licenses. HP and Packard Bell come to mind.

The monoculture argument, far from being tired, is a compelling one.