Re: W3C Trademarks

Author:Dave Winer

Thanks for the post Karl. I don't doubt that some companies see W3C as an easy rollover, and take trademarks like HTML and pervert them for their own purposes.

I had a memory of TBL saying he wished he had trademarked HTML. Maybe it was Rohit. Not sure who said it, but it left an impression, and I came to the same conclusion. If you want to compete, great, but don't use the name that I worked on making famous.

David Brown gave the best explanation of why this is important, and it's only three words: "Finish The Thought." The person who has the idea, in the case of HTML, TBL, has the right to finish the thought. If you have a better idea, use a different name.