Re: reserved words in OPML?

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:9/26/2000; 12:34:33 PM
Topic:reserved words in OPML?

To me, the type attribute is akin to the name of a "class" in OO terms.

Why not borrow a technique that has served Java very very well, the hierarchical namespace?

If I make some new node-types, i could call them:

type="com.roepcke.ftp.Server"

type="com.roepcke.ftp.Folder"

type="com.roepcke.ftp.File"

type="com.roepcke.imap.Message"

The nice thing is, this actually works right now, and doesn't need a central registry. The hierarchy is optional of course, so type="link" and type="song" would still work, it wouldn't HAVE to be changed to com.userland.radio.link and com.userland.radio.song.

No XML namespaces needed, no registry, no collisions. (not that I'm saying they're a bad thing, I don't really know)

Jim