Re: OpenCulture.org

Author:Jesse Vincent
Posted:9/27/2000; 6:44:11 PM
Topic:OpenCulture.org

Paul,
Please don't be so quick to judge us. We are trying to do the right thing. The questions you raise are covered in our faq. And in the more detailed descriptions of the process for sponsors and artists.

The descriptions of our adaptation of the Street Performer Protocol that appear on the website at this point describe the 'simple case.' We've spent many months going over the right way to make this work.

We looked long and hard at being able to give money back to sponsors if a work isn't released. If we want to have any hope of making donations tax-deductible, we just can't do it. The IRS wouldn't let us.

While we don't mention the Street Performer Protocol by name on /About/brief_process.html, we do mention it at the top of both of the more detailed process descriptions and in our faq.

Excerpts from our faq appear below:

What happens if an artist doesn't release a work?
If an artist doesn't release a work, she doesn't get paid. After we find out that a work isn't going to be released, we notify sponsors and let them put the money toward another work. (This might happen if we don't raise enough money to purchase the rights to a work.)

If a work isn't released, do I get my money back?
No. We can't return donations to you if a work isn't released. However, we will give you the opportunity to give the money to another work (of your choice) being released through OpenCulture.