scriptingNews outline for 2/1/2001

Author:Dave Winer

DaveNet: John Doerr on a bicycle. "Centralized servers no longer have a viable business model. That's good, because while our centralized servers huff and puff, the performance monitor on the PCs we use to browse and write for the Web stay flat, and so do the brains of most people using the Web. The users are getting bored, that's why our growth is flat too."

Christian Langreiter has validated XML-RPC client-server for K.

An early draft of the RSS 0.92 spec.

Perl.Com: Quick Start with SOAP.

XML.Com has an excellent Q&A about entities.

Brent documented the new xml.rss verbs in Frontier 7. These verbs are the core of My.UserLand, so now it's easy to build your own RSS-based aggregator with Frontier.

A fantastic essay by Evan Williams about recent events at Pyra. "It really breaks my heart to see the group of awesome people that I was so damn proud of having assembled break apart, feeling beaten and with dreams unrealized."

Comments about ZDNet, News.Com and other press outlets, and Blogger were deleted here. I got an email that pointed out an error in fact which undermined the opinion. I wish the very best to Evan and the other Pyra people.

A patent was issued and your very thoughts are now someone else's property. Never mind that all this was done in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Our government thinks going to court is the way to go. Patents. Yuckers.

I'm listening to Paul Simon's latest CD, a gift from John Doerr of Kleiner-Perkins. Simon is almost 60. His voice is the same. The themes are older-man themes. Do I like it? I like "Gettin Old" -- God is old, we're not old, he made the mold. Yeah.

To my European friends, watch out for these guys. Don't criticize. Or you'll be lookin for a new ISP with no time to waste.