scriptingNews outline for 3/28/2001

Author:Dave Winer

An observation. As a Mac developer, I could afford to admire Microsoft from a distance, even though they played the BigCo game in Apple's space at the expense of the SmallCo's (Apple did it too). I admired Microsoft because they were smarter than Apple, smarter about technology. But as I've gotten closer to Microsoft, the same thing has happened with me that has happened with virtually everyone else that's tried to work with them. I've come to see them as a bully that uses it's advantage at every step, and plays on peoples' ignorance and willingness to believe them when they say they're not evil and conspiratorial. Even in an area that's probably of minor significance to them, they don't know how to show restraint, and repeated calls for them to back off and let people do open work openly are ignored by a junior member of a key team at Microsoft. This isn't one isolated case, they have a playbook for dealing with outsiders, and they stick to it. I don't believe they can participate in an open development process. I know so many people are nodding as they read this, but I had to do the experiment, I'm that kind of guy, I had to get the data. Microsoft is a loser.