Re: Re: Peppier

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/7/1998; 5:40:14 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

Jim, here's why I'm excited.

It took two days to put this board together, starting from scratch. The BBS we did two years ago took several weeks, and didn't have the concept of membership. It also wasn't as clean and simple. I keep learning. This is the *fifth* BBS I've written!

Re performance, we're running this thru Frontier's website framework, with live rendering, it's not implemented in CGI scripts. That means that all the power we've built up there, all the leverage, is available to the system operator. It really is simple now to do a website that has automatic membership features. It's *built into* the new framework. Mostly it's just text editing and graphics work to set one of these systems up. There are a lot of people who know Frontier at that level, so it's really high leverage for them.

Groupware and content management systems share a lot of features, so you could confuse this board as a replacement for Slashdot, but it's not. Teams of people working together need software to help them communicate. This is just the beginning of that. Customization is key. Workflow also. No doubt, for some applications Linux and Perl are the right solution, mostly really high throughput serving, but for content management, with Frontier, Mac and Windows still kick butt.

In a lot of places where they have NT or Mac servers supporting groups of content developers for various media, they need software like the stuff we're creating now.

That's why I'm happy we're getting this stuff together.

Dave