Re: Re: Glossaries on Nirvana

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/18/1998; 8:49:22 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

Tommy, I agree with you. Glossary references by title work well in smallish sites, but become more problematic as sites grow larger.

Not sure what RDF has to do with it. The problem as I see it is what does the writer type into the document to get a link to a specific article? What would RDF look like in this context? If the writer has to type XML I'm not in favor of it. If the system can generate XML from simpler stuff, then I'm happy.

And the author can't think of linking to an article that doesn't exist yet. There's no way the glossary can help us with that problem.

The only real unique ID we have for a page is its URL. But even that is subject to change.

My current thinking is that we invest more the search engine, so it can find related articles, or if somehow our users can help other people find their way thru all the information on our complex site.

Dave