Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MDI envirorment?

Author:David Weingart
Posted:10/21/1998; 10:13:36 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

>Unfortunately, the way that SDI works under Windows isn't >like the way MacOS works; the MacOS concept of a "layer" >that holds all the windows of one application is very >convenient at times.

Well,

When I am using Windows, I like MDI. It makes sense for apps where potentially you will be opening many windows. It's also logically clean. The desktop (highest level) window is owned by the system, the application has it's own window, which contains it's child windows.

However, as far as I'm concerned, any system that handles menus differently than the Mac is fundamentally broken. I can hit File, Edit, and View in any application on the MacOS without even thinking. I work in an office with a number of Windows users. It's amazing how often they miss menus, and have to retrace. I wonder just exactly how much productivity is lost because of this.

-dave