Re: Re: Apple vs Microsoft re Quicktime

Author:sdr@camsoft.com
Posted:11/11/1998; 6:16:47 PM
Topic:First message

I have in fact been developing and maintaining a netscape compatible plugin for use with both Netscape and IE for some time now, for much the same reason as Apple did - why do more than one thing when one is supposed to work with both browsers? It's a pain, as IE's plugin support is just enough to say they can, but not there are all sorts of problems, and of course, every request for help gets you, "Why don't you rewrite as ActiveX?".

Of course, plugins have their share of problems with Netscape browsers, too. It's not a really easy technology, particularly on Macintosh, where you have to share your window.

Maybe they bumped into the 255 character limit in Windows 95 on the string in the version resource which specifies all the mime types. We had a problem with this, so we couldn't support all the mime types and extensions we wanted to.

-Stew