Parents who feed their crying babies

Author:Roger Espinosa
Posted:11/25/1998; 8:15:53 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

As an all-too-new parent who likes seeing his daughter smile more often than wail, I resent the implication that this is going to push her on some path to platform fanaticism. And what will the poor child make of the situation in her own house? A mom wedded to Windows, a father toggling between MacOS and Linux, and a cat who sometimes gets caught up in creating her own "portals" around the house... Is the alternative really to listen to her wail in pain and frustration, her belly empty, just so she can grow up to be an open-minded, open-platform user of the new millenium?

Perhaps that's what's gone wrong with Silicon Valley today -- perhaps everyone who can influence the game (Bill, Steve, and well, maybe even you, Dave) were left as crying babes, never understanding the joy of sweet contentment, and well, no _wonder_ the industry can put up with MacOS (which couldn't inerherit protected memory from its elder sibling Lisa), or WinVMS (er, Win2000), or browsers that could have done so much more but are obsessed with making you a captive, passive audience -- what do they know of contentment? What's the point of crying, if mom's not going to feed you? Wail all you want, you'll be fed at our leisure.

:-)

Actually, I'd give thanks that this _is_ traditionally a sarcastic 'net, but I'm frightened that my analogy almost works...