Re: Bedlam (Feature idea)

Author:Michael Winser
Posted:11/25/1998; 8:44:35 AM
Topic:Testing a new feature.

Notification is a step in the right direction but has its own problems. First of all, each notification message still generates email traffic. If I post a message and a thousand people respond (each waiting long enough for the notification timeout to run and send me mail) then I'll get a thousand useless bits of mail. Worse, the first person to respond will get 999 bits of mail and so on.

I think it is important to understand that there is something very compelling about ones Inbox. I read several web pages each day but my inbox (with its client side notification) is always open and the most fundemental tool I use.

IE 4 introduced the ability to get mail notification when a particular url is updated. However, it has no magic for inserting messages into your inbox, it just sends mail so the traffic issues are still a potential problem.

There is certainly lots of room for some interesting software here.

Michael