Re: Cardboard Cutout People

Author:Rick Eames
Posted:12/19/1998; 5:37:09 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

I could have bought what Clinton was selling were it not for the same old story he always tells. The other side is always the one being the partisans. The other side is Evil. The other side doesn't "Get it." The other side are a bunch of hateful people.

Step back for a second and ask yourself one question: is what the Republicans did today good for the Republican party?

It's not. They will pay a price for this, but I for one am happy to see, finally, a group of people willing to lay it all on the line on for a principle they consider bigger than themselves. It is something none of those Democrats seem willing to do. Gingrich was willing to do it. Livingston was willing to do it. Clinton never will. He would, I believe, take the entire thing down with him, demonizing the Republicans as he went.

And he does it because it works for him. Hating Republicans is easy because Republicans are like every other "authoritiy" figure in life: they say certain things are bad, certain things are good. And people never like hearing what they are doing could be bad.

Clinton had his chance today to come out and say, "Hey, there is a great deal of partisanship on both sides of the aisle in this town. The dems did it to Newt and to Judge Thomas. The Republicans are now doing it to me. This has to stop and I'm going to help the cause by following Livingston's lead and resign my position so the country can go about finding a way to work together." But of course that ain't gonna happen.

On a side note...is anyone else bothered by the fact that Gephart, who threatended to withhold funding for Desert Storm because he disagreed with it, doesn't seem to have a problem at all with what's going on right now? In fact, he's saying the Republicans are Evil again for doing this all while our men are in harms way. What's even more interesting is the fact that the bombing started right before the vote and stopped right after it. Hmmmmm.

Rick