Re: Cardboard cutout people

Author:Keola Donaghy
Posted:12/19/1998; 10:13:36 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

There comes a point when the Congress needs to stop following public opinion and start leading it, and this is obviously one.

Two conflicting messages being sent by the public in recent weeks:

1. We don't want Clinton impeached. But...

2. If he was (and had been), that he should resign.

This isn't a vote of confidence for the President, it's a desire to just forget this whole issue. We can't. The White House and democrats in Congress have been waving public opinion polls around like the American flag during the months leading up to impeachment. Will they be so eager to do so in the coming months as the tide of public opinion turns on the President and larger segments of the public call for his resignation? The White House will start singing a new song devoid of polls and popular opinion, the Congressional busload that showed up at the White House today will soon be able to fit in a minivan.

I agree with Dave's assessment of the President and his performances. When he says "I'm sorry", I hear "I'm sorry I got caught." There isn't a shred of sincerity in any of his half-admissions. If it wasn't for DNA evidence he would still be telling us nothing ever happened in the first place, and making plans for his memorial library in Hope.