Re: bigger than themselves

Author:Alec Saunders
Posted:12/20/1998; 1:24:28 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

I didn't listen to all of what was said in the house yesterday or Friday. Frankly, I am reaching the point of impeachment fatigue. But I don't think I heard the same things you heard. I heard Dick Gephardt ask for reconciliation, tolerance, and an end to character assassination, for instance. I saw Republicans sit mute and Democrats applaud when basic points about decent behavior seemed to be being raised. I heard Henry Hyde trying to focus the debate on a simplistic interpretation of the law when it seemed like members wanted to delve deeper. When I heard Republicans speak of duty and honor it seemed hollow, partisan, shallow. These were puppets on strings dancing to the call of the national party's funding machine, no matter how many repeated calls there were for members to vote according to conscience.

Two different views of the same event, I guess.

Alec.