Why we tuned out on Washington..

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/20/1998; 12:12:51 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

In my generation, it was the Vietnam war and Watergate that did it.

50,000 young men died to support a way of life, which was on its way out no matter who died or didn't. And it wasn't a partisan thing. The war was started by a Republican, deepened by two Democrats, and then two Republicans.

We bought a political system to keep us asleep because the truth about our power was too frightening. So we gave up our power to no one. It's amazing that it's still there. After the fall of communism. After all we've been thru, the US is still mighty. Go figure.

I see the current storm as an eruption of our consciousness. We're waking up to who we are. We may go back to sleep, but right now we're on the verge of waking up.

This is just my theory of course.