Re: Remember: Clinton brought this on himself

Author:Rick Eames
Posted:12/20/1998; 11:33:41 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

I agree, but I think the process brings out the true character of the individuals. Livingston had a much different reaction to the events that Clinton did. How they handled it allows us to look into their souls and see what kind of men they truly are.

Am I looking for perfect people to be President? Not a bit. It's impossible. What I am looking for, however, are great examples of character, in how people react to problems, how they treat people, and the example they set for others. I'm big on "owning the problem." I don't think Clinton has yet "owned the problem." I wish he would.

BTW, one could also make the argument that no Clinton stalling on Whitewater == no impeachment as well. Starr took as long as Starr did because of deceptive moves by the White House in an effort to protect. These included setting aside records and filing motion after motion to delay. That prolonged this thing to such a point, and frustrated the prosecutor to such a point, that any proof at all of anything connected would come out. This thing started when Starr recognized a pattern with the involvement of Vernon Jordan and trying to buy off witnesses with jobs. Out of it came this silly mess.

I think what I and others are saying is this: it's not what the problem is that defines you - it's how you react to it. I think that is what Dave was saying, and I know it is definitely what I am saying. Clinton's reaction is a direct look at the center of his character.