Re: Remember: Clinton brought this on himself

Author:Stan Purington
Posted:12/21/1998; 6:25:44 AM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

Character can be measured in many ways and peoples responses to different types of events can vary. We will never know how Livingston would have reacted to a legal investigation because he was never subjected to one. I still believe it is the wrong for him to resign, that it sends the wrong message to would be smearers.

Regarding the whole investigation, perhaps it took so long because of the unending list of allegations that Ken Starr took it upon himself to investigate. Where did these allegations come from? His political enemies of course. It is part of a cycle of accusations and investigations that are never ending. If I felt I was being unfairly investigated for so many things I might have the same defiant reaction to all this. And yet I don't consider myself of lower character than most of those running the country. When the legal system becomes part of the political war do the same rules apply? How do we stop legal harassment of our elected officials? Do we call for a special prosecutor every time someone questions how the President made a decision, or maybe just when we disagree with his decisions.

Apparently, if you put any stock in the polls (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/20/impeachment.poll/), people have made their personal decisions on the character of Mr Clinton and how it relates to his ability to lead the nation. In two years you can choose another. I'm kind of hoping Bill Bradley will be the democratic candidate instead of Mr. Gore, not so much because I think Gore is not qualified, but because he would be more of a lightning rod for smear than Bill Bradley.