Re: Cardboard cutout people

Author:John Kendrick
Posted:12/21/1998; 8:18:08 AM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

Dave,

Screwed up my original note. I meant to add a paragraph about this discussion group. Well done. I've been keeping up with Frontier for some time. Could not afford the leap to a commercial version. And, since you brought that out at the same time I switched from the Mac OS to Windows, I've quit using it.

As for your response about sexual harassment, it's too short by a large degree. You would need to say more. Clinton obviously has a history of sexual wanderings but, so far as I can tell, none of sexual harassment, in the legal sense. Jones' lawyers charged him with that but the political thrust of that case, embedded as it was in a politics of Clinton-hate, makes the charge far less believable. And, of course, the judge threw it out on the grounds that, whatever happened in the hotel room, even the scenario the Jones' people alleged, did not constitute sexual harassment.

On the sexual harassment charge in the Jones' case, Jones' folk would have had to establish either a quid pro quo (for which there was no evidence) or a workplace that made it impossible for Jones to do her work. They had evidence for neither.

No case.

As for Lewinsky, I don't see it, again unless the argument is that sex between an older, more powerful man and a subordinate is, in and of itself, sexual harassment. Some argue that but it has yet to get written into law.

And you can imagine the havoc that one would play with the Congress, graduate education, corporate America, you name it, any place where the structure of work consists of powerful males and subordinate females. And, of course, to flip it, you would, increasingly (hopefully) need to deal with its gender opposite--powerful, older females and subordinate males. Well, and to get the sexual orientation bias out of those statements, you would need to complicate it still further.

Is that where we are going?

John Kendrick