Re: bigger than themselves

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:12/21/1998; 11:21:00 AM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

>I believe that the only opinion polls that matter are ones that are restricted to people who vote

I'm not sure I understand this. Shouldn't politicians represent the citizenry, whether or not they vote? It's not quite the same, but I'm always cautious when a politician says they represent "tax-payers" -- I feel that they represent all citizens, especially non-tax-payers. Similarly, they should represent all citizens, not just those who vote -- there are hundreds of thousands of disenfranchised people, not just those who choose not to vote.