Lying, perjury and standard for impeachment

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:12/21/1998; 11:34:14 AM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

Lying and perjury are not the same thing. The legal standard for perjury is higher than that for lying -- among other things, it must be legally relevant. Since the Jones case was dismissed, and subsequently settled, there is a legal case for saying that the lying was not legally relevant.

However, it doesn't matter very much if Clinton legally committed perjury or not, because the standard for impeachment is not a legal standard, but a political one. Basically, it is "high crimes and misdemeanors" _as defined by the House and Senate_. It is not sufficient to say that Clinton broke the law and therefore should be impeached -- breaking the law does not automatically qualify a president for impeachment.

It is misleading for representatives to suggest that they had to vote for impeachment because they think Clinton broke the law. They are required to make a political judgement, not a legal one.

p.s. replying to this message, because I don't know how to start a thread (maybe I can't?)