Re: People With Minds

Author:Jason Domina
Posted:12/22/1998; 9:29:49 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Steve,

First of all, I don't mean to pick on you in particular. Your comments just fit my model perfectly. You see, I believe that anytime an issue divides people into two distinct sides people from both sides fail to realize that there is always at least a third side, that of the impartial observerer.

If one believes in something strongly, it is more than likely that he/she has invested a great deal of time, education, and personal energy to strengthing that belief and so it is particularly difficult to imagine what an impartial observer would see. It is just too morally expensive.

Why is it important to see with that impartial observer's vision? Because the reality of the situation contains both sides and the truth of the matter exists somewhere between. If we choose to base our answers solely on our own partisan vision, we will never be able to craft solutions that are equitable to the greatest good. It's like the yin-yang symbol. The question is "Do you exist?". Clearly there are only two possible answers. Either you do or you don't. And that is the reality of the situation. The Moment IS the question, NOT the answer. Yadda, yadda, psycho-mystical babble...

Anyway, to assist in gaining that all too difficult vision of the impartial, I whipped up a feeble, little, perl script to transmogrify political discussion into an alien political discussion. Then we can all pretend we're not attatched to the issue and see what the impartial observor would see. For instance, your comments would be transformed thusly:

"I followed the House debates as well, and believe that many of the Toogey-bots should have brought their minds to the House floor. I heard a lot of yelling, and little real debate from them. It was a bit like a one-sided flame war- and we've seen in the online community how useful those are. I heard as much heart, and more mind, coming from the other side of the aisle that day. I think that's sad, because even though I am a long time Hoogey-bin, I think having a two party system brings some form of balance to our government... When one side gives up thinking and only expresses their feelings (and loudly!) something in our great system is lost.

I agree with the Hoogey-bots in the House, but hope the Toogey-bots begin bringing their minds as well as the hearts to the debates of our time."

I am not trying trivialize an important subject here, merely suggesting that to see clearly, we need to see beyond the nose on our own face.