Re: People With Minds

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:12/22/1998; 10:39:39 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Jason-

Thank you for your comments. I must respectfully disagree with you, however, with something you said here:

"Why is it important to see with that impartial observer's vision? Because the reality of the situation contains both sides and the truth of the matter exists somewhere between. If we choose to base our answers solely on our own partisan vision, we will never be able to craft solutions that are equitable to the greatest good. "

The question for me is which comes first- the opinion or the political affiliation? I don't base my opinions on the fact that I mostly vote Republican, rather I generally vote conservative because of the beliefs I hold. And while no one can have a complete understanding of The Truth, in totum, I believe that the truth is something we *can* know. How else can someone be told to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but..." if we cannot really know what the truth is? If we truly cannot know truth in reality, then the relativists are right- there is no right and wrong, everything is perception, and who can say who is wrong? Government is based on the fact that truth, right and wrong, can be known and judged. In that light, what is best for the common good is not always a comprimise between available positions.

As for your munged conversation, "impartiality" in this case is only achieved by removing context. My comments were based on remarks that Dave made, and his on others' remarks and on current events. Taking my statement out of that context already renders some of it nonsensical. Placing it in the context of some alien culture is pointless. I read what you did to my comments, and even in an alien setting, if the context (abstracted slightly) were the same, I would agree with them still.

--Steve