Re: People With Minds

Author:Jason Domina
Posted:12/22/1998; 12:15:51 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

My point about impartiality is that truth is often painful. In a situation where lines have been drawn, the solution is often too painful for either side to see. Why? Because the truth contains elements that each side has invested a great deal of energy into opposing and elements that each side has spent a great deal of energy of supporting. I'm sorry if my comments seem to be proposing a sort of "moral relativism". That couldn't be farther from what I'm proposing. The truth *is* a knowable quantity. Context is what prevents us from seeing *all* of it.

As for munging your comments, they just struck me as something that someone from either side could have said. Just reverse the party name and bango. Instant rhetoric for either side. Impartiality doesn't come from taking a comment out of context and then twisting it into your own vision and I apologize if it appears to be what I was doing. It comes from acknowledging your own emotional involvement in an issue and doing everything possible to see the issue in the context of all parties involved. That's the painful part, and one that *The Truth* demands.