www.100hot.com

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/30/1998; 7:47:54 AM
Topic:www.100hot.com

I find this site very interesting! It raises lots of questions. First they are doing something cool with proxy server logs that system managers send them every night via FTP.

http://www.100hot.com/methodology.chtml

Their database does not include people surfing from AOL and other sites that do their own proxy servers but don't share their data with www.100hot.com. This says that AOL could do something like this and have an interesting rating system, probably a high flow site among influential people, people who study the web.

Another interesting angle, their developer's page doesn't list builder.com. Is this because they don't have builder.com listed as a developer's site, or is it that builder.com doesn't have enough flow to qualify?

http://www.100hot.com/dev/

I also find it fascinating that my old alma mater, Symantec, is number six on the developer list. Scripting News is only #38. I want to be higher! Macromedia isn't on the list, but I imagine they would want to be thought of as a developer's site.

Anyway, any thoughts or insights are welcome. Let's have a discussion.