A virtual toe-dip

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/10/1999; 7:44:35 AM
Topic:The Scoop on alphaWorks

One thing I learned talking with Wolpert is that the purpose of the alphaWorks site is to disseminate technology thru the diverse IBM organization. The fact that it's public is a side-benefit, it ups the profile of the software distributed thru the site, within their company.

That is totally fascinating to me.. It's something we have in common. I often find myself explaining things on Scripting News with the intention of raising it as a priority for my team. I've noticed that things become more real to them if they're out in public.

I've been thinking of ways to increase this effect, including doing an IPO where the information about the company is disseminated thru Scripting News. If I were doing that, I'd bury the initial idea deep in the DG so I could see if people were receptive to the idea without being committed to it. A virtual toe-dip, if you will..