Re: Giving Netscape a try

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:2/20/1999; 9:47:15 AM
Topic:Giving Netscape a try

Hmm... the Personal Toolbar is the reason I use Netscape! I just hit Ctrl-B to edit bookmarks, and deleted all the Netscape portal stuff and the AIM button.

You can drag-and-drop the little bookmark icon just left of the word "Location" in the location toolbar onto the Personal Toolbar (folder) to put your own bookmarks there.

In "Edit Bookmarks", you can even create folders in the Personal toolbar folder, so that you can have categories of bookmarks in your toolbar. When you drag and drop onto a folder, it opens up so you can position your bookmark inside it or put it in a sub-folder.

Another nice thing? You can put JavaScript in your bookmarks. I have a bookmark called "Open" on my Personal Toolbar, and the URL for the bookmark is: (from memory)

javascript:void(window.open())

I also have javascript bookmarks that resize the Netscape window to 640x480 and 800x600 sizes so I can see how my pages look in those screen sizes.

I suppose it should be possible to do all sorts of neat things with javascript bookmarks, but that's as far as I've taken it.

Jim