Re: Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

Author:Michael Gilbert
Posted:2/26/1999; 11:39:34 AM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

Dave asks: Could a group of people in a web browser really reach consensus without frustrating all the people with its slowness?

Absolutely! The slowness of the medium is, in this case, an asset. Slowing things down in a RL meeting is often a key to reaching consensus. It reduces reactionary responses and bad interpersonal loops.

I would add in technologically enforced tools for the old fashioned Quaker techniques of going around the circle one at a time. You could do the same thing in checking for people who will break consensus.

I've been using anonymous mailing lists and chat for a couple of years now in conflict resolution work with nonprofit organizations. For almost twenty years I've been teaching meeting skills and leading meetings. An intelligent web site is a very exciting tool.