Should we trust Netscape?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:2/28/1999; 8:01:14 AM
Topic:Mail to the Future Server Functionality

You know - since Gecko is open-source - all you need to do to get xml-rpc enabled is get some programmer who wants to tackle this job to write some C++ and check it in to the OSS code at mozilla.org

I would support that if there was some guarantee that Netscape would distribute the code in their browser. There's the disconnect. I can't really recommend that people invest in writing code that works in the Netscape environment without some idea that it will get out to users. Does this make sense? Has Netscape said what its criteria will be for including contributed code in their releases?

Further, I can't support Netscape's browser as long as they're sending information back to their server without the user's knowing they're doing it. The What's Related feature is a security leak, maybe not quite a virus, but clearly something that must be stopped ASAP. Guha claimed in October that this would be fixed in 4.51 but looking at the change notes for 4.51, there's no evidence that it has been fixed.