Re: Microsoft exec dissects Linux.

Author:Dave Winer

Still who in Microsoft feels brave enough to suggest that they jetison their long running (and until now, proven) strategy?

There are people at Microsoft who are brave enough to suggest that. These are the people I talk with. (I also talk with some of the others.) Microsoft is a tempest on the inside. They argue all the time. Some people feel they should embrace the "slackware" movement. Some of those people have iMacs at home too.

The thing that's interesting about Microsoft is that they hire your friends and mine, young and old, from all over the world. It's a messy place on the inside. New ideas do circulate, but you're right, that Gates's philosophy runs the place, to some extent. To a larger extent it's the ouija board that runs it.

OTOH, if they stick to the belief that Windows is the only thing they can base their company on, they're going to end up with an IBM-size company (which isn't so bad btw).