Re: Linux programming manuals

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:3/6/1999; 8:24:46 AM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

That's why I was advocating the elimination of X 2 years ago; sure you'd lose all the X apps, but that's no real loss. Now that we have Gtk+ and Qt I'm not advocating the total destruction of X, but merely of all the other toolkits...

Yeah, it's sort of strange, but Gtk+ and Qt are much better toolkits. Motif was designed by a vendor committee, and nobody used it to create real applications until far too late. Gtk+ was written to support a single application, and Qt was the work of a very small company.

X itself is pretty cool--it's nothing more than a network-distributed QuickDraw. (Dave Winer would probably like this, or at least the spirit behind it.) Most of the bletcherous bits are modular, just like the widgets. Because of this modularity, X has survived from the days of the PDP11 until 1999. Not bad, even if it can't anti-alias fonts yet. ;-)