Porting from Windows to Linux

Author:Eric Kidd

I am thinking, by way of example, of Troll Tech AS (the makers of the Qt toolkit). They have shown time and again their effeciency and proficiency at quickly porting code from a variety of platforms to Unix. The most recent example is their porting of the (Windows) Opera browser in only three weeks (http://www.operasoftware.com/news.html).

I have to agree, here. TrollTech is awfully good at what they do. The Opera port to Linux had been languishing for years until TrollTech took over, and they got a solid prototype up in just three weeks.

Just because Linux has all these warm and fuzzy vibes doesn't mean you can ignore the usual rules of commerce. Partner with people who know their jobs and do them well, and you'll come out ahead.