Re: Linux and winning

Author:Benoit Cazenave

I just read my previous post and realized I had made a big mistake ! Our internet servers are Macintosh just like your Quadra ! I forgot them because they are out of the office and they never seem to have a problem !

The one thing I didn't do is put Frontier as a server on them. For some reason I find the Windows version faster. It seems that the memory management in the Mac bogs things down. I understand that your Qaudra is just a plain web server and you use a NT box for 'live' Frontier serving, is it for the same reason ? I was wondering if Frontier on Mac OS X would get up to speed. The 'porting' process doesn't seem that hard... or is it an Apple lie ?

The UNIX foundation of Mac OS X makes it attractive. The blue screen and the bomb are just a pain in the a.. on a server, and a true nightmare when you are not next to the machine. It is really no wonder Linux is gainig ground in the server market : doesn't crash, runs on cheap hardware and is free.