Still working on Nirvana

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:3/22/1999; 8:39:40 PM
Topic:Still working on Nirvana

This week we're working on the new website for Frontier 6. One of my jobs is to review and organize all the material on the Developer's website. I just came across this bit that I wrote about "Nirvana Server" a code-name that's almost gone now, at least for me.

But this little bit of writing represents the spirit of the project better than any bit I've come across so far. I want to remember this for the earth-digging that's sure to happen around the next major point release.

What is Nirvana?

When Frontier 6.0 was in development it was known by the code-name "Nirvana Server". Like the name "Betty" in early 1998, Nirvana Server builds on the layers that came before. As always, the goal has been to deepen and simplify and increase performance both of the human beings participating in a website and of the experience for people reading the website, using the information on the website.

The key feature of Nirvana Server is integration. Instead of cobbling together components that view the problem they solve as the only problem, we attack the general problem, how to make websites most useful to users and make them work as smooth and productive as possible for the people creating for the site. To do this, several key features needed to work together. Some are very important, searching, time, collaboration, content management, membership, profiles, annotation and subscriptions; and other features play important supporting roles.

But the key feature is integration. All these features run in the same environment and are easy to set up and administer, and the features connect with each other effortlessly.