Re: What to do with my extra NT machine?

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:3/25/1999; 10:27:47 AM
Topic:What to do with my extra NT machine?

Make sure that you check the errata on the RedHat website.

I know that they turn a lot of stuff on by default, and you typically want a lot of things off if you're accessible through the net.

Things to watch for from a security point of view. (this is easier if you're behind a firewall)

Turn off imapd in /etc/inetd.conf. (comment out the line with a # sign.)

There's been an update to ftpd too.

Turn off services that you don't need. (I can see you needing apache, samba, maybe named on a caching only basis, maybe syslogd. Ftp. I'd turn off sendmail, popd, and almost anything else you don't understand from inetd.conf.) Disable rsh, rexec and friends.

Make sure that root cannot telnet in (see securetty), or at least if it can, that telnet is only allowed from trusted hosts.

Check out the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files for access control to the various services. (don't allow access to portmapper/nfs or x windows ports from across the net.)

eric