Running a stable fractional horsepower server

Author:Michael Zajac
Posted:4/6/1999; 12:32:20 PM
Topic:Running a stable fractional horsepower server

I just read Tips for Running a Stable Mac Server, which has a lot of good practical advice for us would-be webmasters.

If my phone company is true to their word, I'll be running a server on my G3 powermac over ADSL within the next month. I'm hoping to try out most of the new Nirvana features. When I scrounge up the cash I'll buy another powermac, but in the mean time the server will also be used to run Photoshop, QuickTime VR Authoring Studio, and possibly GoLive.

I will try to reboot once a week, and only run the additional apps I need, when I need them. I'll do backups daily. I'll trim down the extensions too. I'll stop playing Myth (this will be tough, given the potential speed of the ADSL connection).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a Bad Idea, or can I get by this way? Any tips, or amendments to the advice in the page cited above?

PS: I was going to abbreviate it to 'hp/x server' in the subject line, but that's too close to another computer acronym I've seen somewhere. This is such a great phrase that it just cries out for a jargony name.