re: Swimming with the Music Industry

Author:Donald W. Larson
Posted:5/5/1999; 11:32:05 AM
Topic:re: Swimming with the Music Industry

Omega MicroWare was one such company offering utilities to allow legal copies of copy-protected software on the Apple II computer systems. I was the Customer Support Manager for Omerga during 1982 and 1983. The program used to copy disks was called LockSmith.

Omega sold thousands of LockSmith copies and allowed users to make backups of the programs they had purchased that did not come with a backup disk. I recall the many different schemes companies used to create software protection and then the escalting situation of defeating those schemes. The use of non-standard Self-Synch bytes, half-tracks, nibble-counting; all a waste of time IMHO.

Eventually, copy-protection faded as companies decided not to employ copy-protection because of the costs involved and consumer complaints.